mad cherry self-hosting
Self-Hosting FAQ & ResourcesJuly 29, 2015
If you've been here before, you've already read how I gushed over having my own domain . ...
If you've been here before, you've already read how I gushed over having my own domain. If you're new here, welcome to my little space on the web.
While I touched on the subject a bit when asked on the comments section of my previous post, I thought a more comprehensive post about self-hosting might be helpful for others who want to give it a try.
1. Why did you do it?I've always wanted to have a site that's mine.
I also wanted to have more control over my space's design. There were a lot of things I wanted to explore in terms of putting up and running a site and self-hosting felt like the best way for me to do them.
2. What preparations did you make before doing it?Despite toying with the idea for a couple of years, the decision to jump on it came on a whim. My husband's friend told him that GoDaddy was having a sale. I checked it out, looked up the name I wanted and bought it. I planned on just parking the domain until I was ready to pay for hosting but decided that I would only put it off again if I don't do it right away. So I went ahead and signed up for the service because time waits for no man.
I've done research before, though, so I was aware of what to expect.
3. Was it difficult?Once I was settled with the hosting plan I wanted to get, everything else went smoothly. I availed of GoDaddy's Managed Wordpress Hosting service and setting up was a breeze!
4. Do you retain your content and followers?I've jumped from Blogger to Wordpress before so I was familiar with how to export and import my content from one platform to another. As for retaining followers, I wasn't quite sure at first. It was one of the reasons why I hesitated to take the plunge but after Googling if there was a way to do it, I went right ahead.
5. Would you advise it?It's totally up to your discretion whether you'd jump on board the self-hosting wagon, too. If it suits your needs, do it! If it doesn't, that's fine, too. What I would advise you to do is research, ask a friend who can help you, and don't be scared to email customer support when you don't know what you're doing.
If you do decide to get to it, though, below are some of the resources that helped my transition, which I hope would be of help to you, too.
How to upgrade from free Wordpress.com to self-hosting Wordpress.org - This helped me get an idea of how things would work, but the tutorial is particularly for when you choose to use Bluehost.
Jetpack Subscription Migration Tool - If you're scared of losing your followers and stats, Wordpress can migrate them! I was scared this might not work for me because I'm not well-versed in technological things, so I sent an email to a customer service representative. They replied a couple of hours after I sent my query and even offered to migrate my details for me.
13 Pretty Wordpress Themes - Most of the links are for premium themes. If you want to go all out on your new space, try one of the themes featured in this post.
50+ Best Free Responsive Wordpress Themes - If you're not ready to purchase a theme, you can always get one for free.